Countdown to Canada Cup - less than 3 weeks to go
It's less than 3 weeks to the 2014 Canada Cup International Wheelchair Rugby Tournament and BC Wheelchair Sports can't wait to welcome the world to the Richmond Olympic Oval. Whether you want to volunteer, donate to the silent auction, or cheer Canada on from the comfort of our beer garden, read on to find out how to get the most from this exciting event.
Highlights of This Year's Canada Cup!
It's the 10th anniversary of the Canada Cup International Wheelchair Rugby Tournament and we've got loads of extras for you. This year's Canada Cup features:
- A beer garden. This year, we've added spirits from local small-batch distillery Odd Spirits Society
- A full webcast thanks to our friends at Sportscanada.tv
- A 10th anniversary celebration. We'll be counting down the Top 10 Canada Cup Stories of the past 10 years on the Canada Cup website and Facebook.
- A silent auction
- A schools program. If you would like to have your child's school visit the Canada Cup, contact Jessica Kruger at
- Customizable merchandise. This year, we're proud to be offering Special T merchandise. Special T allows you to design your own Canada Cup merchandise and have it made for you on the spot.
Ask Duncan Anything!
To promote this year's Canada Cup, Duncan Campbell (co-inventor of wheelchair rugby) will be doing an AMA on Reddit on June 10th at 9 am PST (12 noon EST). Reddit is a social networking site where people post links of things that interest them and members can 'upvote' or 'downvote' them based on how interesting they are. An AMA stands for "Ask Me Anything" and it's a chance for members of the public to ask questions about people who've lived interesting lives.
Got a question you want to ask Duncan anonymously? Here's how you can get involved:
- Go to www.reddit.com
- Look at the box on the upper righthand corner that looks like this:
- If you don't have a Reddit account, click 'register' and follow the directions to make an account
- Now go to the AMA section of Reddit by clicking here
- On June 10th at 9 am PST, you'll see a post about Duncan (we'll also be linking to it on Facebook and on our website). Click there and leave a comment to ask Duncan anything!
Canada Cup Seeking Silent Auction Donations
We're still looking for donations for our silent auction. All funds raised at the silent auction go to our Bridging the Gap program, helping to ensure that the next generation of elite athletes has a chance to succeed. You can help out in the following ways:
- Donate a silent auction item from your business or your home. Great items include gift certificates, concert tickets, bottles of wine, non-perishable food items, sporting equipment. No item is too small, since we can bundle smaller items into baskets.
- Purchase a silent auction item and donate it
- Donate money to the silent auction and we'll use it to buy a silent auction item on your behalf.
To donate to the silent auction, contact Arley at or call 778-788-9091.
Tickets are Now on Sale!
Get your tickets to the 2014 Canada Cup International Wheelchair Rugby Tournament.
All Tournament Pass: $20
Day pass: $10
Night pass: $5
While tickets are available at the door, they're going fast, so make sure to reserve your seat to the most elite wheelchair rugby tournament outside of the World Championships or Paralympic Games.
Get your tickets by clicking here.
VOLUNTEER FOR CANADA CUP
We're still looking for volunteers for the 2014 Canada Cup International Wheelchair Rugby Tournament. Whether you can volunteer for a few hours or for the whole event, we're grateful for your help.
Volunteers are provided with meals depending on the duration of their shift and a tournament T-shirt.
We are currently accepting applications for volunteers in all areas and more:
• Transportation services
• Information services
• Translators for teams
• Food services
• Ceremonies support
• Tournament office support
• Event support.
For information contact Arley at or call 778-788-9091.