IWRF Athletes Council launched
The International Wheelchair Rugby Federation (IWRF) is pleased to announce that the IWRF Athletes Council is now up and running.
Comprised of seven athletes representing all three zones, the Athletes Council will become the collective voice of the sport at all levels within the IWRF.
IWRF Athlete Representative and Board Member, Jens Sauerbier is Chairman of the Athletes Council, and says that he is excited about the work ahead.
“We have selected seven athletes who are all well qualified to serve on this council; and together we will be seeking input from players, classifiers, officials and others who participate in wheelchair rugby so that we can discuss their concerns, and those of the sport.”
The Athletes Council will meet by conference call several times each year, and encourages people to provide them with feedback in person at tournaments, or by sending them an email. A list of each zones representatives and contact information is provided below.
The Role of the IWRF Athletes Council is:
- To provide a forum for athletes to share their views on matters of interest and concern to athletes.
- To communicate with athletes to solicit input, identify issues, provide education, and disseminate information.
- To advise the IWRF Board of Directors and Standing Committees on behalf of wheelchair rugby athletes.
- To provide athlete representatives for IWRF Standing Committees and Zone Committees.
- To provide input and feedback to the IWRF Technical Committee on proposed changes to the International Rules for the Sport of Wheelchair Rugby.
- To provide input and feedback to the IWRF Classification Committee on proposed changes to the IWRF Classification Manual.
- To provide an opportunity for leadership development among wheelchair rugby athletes.
IWRF Athletes Council members can be reached at the following email addresses:
IWRF Asia-Oceania Zone –
1.0 Jason Lees – Australia
1.0 Jaewoong Choi - Korea
IWRF Americas Zone -
0.5 Jason Regier – United States
3.0 Fabian Lavoie – Canada
IWRF European Zone -
1.0 Christian Götze - Germany
1.0 Allan Lynch - Ireland
2.0 Sébastien Lhuissier - France
IWRF Athletes Council Chairman –
2.0 Jens Sauerbier – Germany
With this background we invite YOU to share your thoughts and ideas with us. We have no theoretical taboos in our consideration and are interested in every direction. Assist us in the development of your magnificent sport on a global scale and help lift it to the next level.
For more information please contact Jens Sauerbier, IWRF Athlete Representative.